Definition of fruit cake in English:
1A cake containing dried fruit and nuts: a rich, moist fruit cake [mass noun]: Ella filled her mouth with fruit cake
More example sentences
- Both staff and residents alike enjoyed a sample of the tier of the wedding cake which was a rich fruit cake.
- When Donna graduated from college, she became a food stylist at a time when a sheaf of wheat, a spray of carnations and a patterned plate were required to accessorise a fruit cake for photography.
- By the way, a bite of the pretty white cake made me not want to eat any more sweet stuff on Christmas day, I ate my fruit cake on the next day.
2 (fruitcake) informal An eccentric or mad person.
[compare with nutty as a fruitcake (see nutty)]
- Will you meet nutcases and fruitcakes in your travels?
- That he was loathsome, a complete fruitcake, and madman is well known.
- A while ago I suggested that it would be a good idea for Americans if they were to hive off a part of the country I call the ‘axis of stupidity’, and let all the fruitcakes who have been dragging the whole country down go live there.
Definition of fruit cake in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan