- A tropical fruit-eating dove that typically has brightly coloured plumage, usually with a green back, and occurs mainly in Indonesia and Australasia. Compare with fruit pigeon.
More example sentences
- Genus Ptilonopus (and Phapitreron), family Columbidae: many species
- Such birds as the bridled white-eye, the Guam flycatcher, and the Mariana fruit dove, once widespread on the island, now exist only as stuffed museum specimens or illustrations in birders' guidebooks.
- Days find you snorkeling over pulsating sea clams and other marine life, sea-kayaking Kuata Island's slender peninsula, or hiking its interior, where you might just spot a many-colored fruit dove.
- Wood said that while few would notice the passing of Sumba's little-known hornbills, quails and fruit doves, their demise has wider implications.