Definition of frump in English:
- ‘Lastly,’ she adds, ‘it doesn't matter how good your face looks, if you still dress like a frump you will still look old.
- But if I did not notice the adverts through my selective conditioning, I was presented with shiny happy photographs of the stars looking at their best to remind me that I am indeed a frump.
- But you can't, because you'll never be anything but a common frump whose father lived over a grocery store and whose mother took in washing…
- Example sentences
- This was a new departure for the press, which usually dismisses the movement as humorless, frumpish and puritanical.
- Its flag-bearer was mocked as a frumpish former academic unable to connect with ordinary people.
- She admits she was frumpish, in twinset and pearls, when she first met John.
- Example sentences
- When a dashingly clad officer addresses such a frumpishly dressed bum, he scolds him, as an officer in army must.
- May herself plays the frumpishly eccentric but wealthy botanist pursued with murderous intent by Matthau's ageing, financially embarrassed playboy.
- Grim-eyed, stringy-haired, frumpishly virginal, the oldtime schoolmarm lived in a tradition as famed as that of the absent-minded professor.
Mid 16th century: probably a contraction of late Middle English frumple 'wrinkle', from Middle Dutch verrompelen. The word originally denoted a mocking speech or action; later (in the plural) ill humour, the sulks; hence a bad-tempered, (later) dowdy woman (early 19th century).
This is probably a contraction of late Middle English frumple ‘wrinkle’, from Middle Dutch verrompelen. The word originally referred to a mocking speech or action; later as frumps it meant ‘the sulks’; this led to the word's use for a bad-tempered, and eventually a dowdy woman (early 19th century).
Words that rhyme with frumpbump, chump, clump, crump, dump, flump, gazump, grump, jump, lump, outjump, plump, pump, rump, scrump, slump, stump, sump, thump, trump, tump, ump, whump
Definition of frump in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.