(North American also frypan)
Definition of frying pan in English:
A shallow pan with a long handle, used for cooking food in hot fat or oil.
- In a large frypan or wok, cook the onion in oil until soft.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large frypan or wok over medium high heat.
- Brown each of the chicken breasts in a frypan and then transfer to the oven on an ovenproof tray.
out of the frying pan into the fire
- From a bad situation to one that is worse: he may find himself jumping out of the frying pan into the fireMore example sentences
- ‘When Middlesbrough beat us 2-0 (in October) they went second in the league and look where they are now,’ Allardyce pointed out, suggesting that Ricketts may have jumped out of the frying pan into the fire.
- Yes, yes I know; out of the frying pan into the fire but that's another story.
- A problem which has been addressed and solved by States or some of the States by the States' scheme of partial commutation which, on your argument, puts the legislation out of the frying pan into the fire.
Definition of frying pan in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan