A brown seaweed or fossil plant of a group to which bladderwrack belongs.
- Order Fucales, class Phaeophyceae, including genus Fucus.
- This suggests a rapid, recent evolution of at least northern hemisphere temperate fucoids.
- It is well known that most fucoids are prevented from establishing on exposed shores by limpet grazing.
- Without grazers to remove them, the faster growing epiphytes could outcompete fucoids by covering all surfaces or at least covering enough surface area to decrease photosynthetic activity of Fucus.
Relating to or resembling a brown seaweed, especially a fucoid.
- Ceratopteris spores, like fucoid zygotes, divide unequally to produce a small rhizoid cell and a larger cell that develops into the thallus.
- In the fucoid zygote, polarization events can be triggered by a range of stimuli, including unidirectional light and fertilization.
- The zygotes of the fucoid brown algae have long been studied by developmental biologists in an effort to understand how cellular polarity arises.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: fu¦coid
Definition of fucoid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.