noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A brown carotenoid pigment occurring in and generally characteristic of the brown algae.More example sentences
- Most also contain carotenoid pigments, such as the brown pigment fucoxanthin, that give the cells a yellow, orange, or brown color.
- Unlike the other Chromista, Xanthophyta completely lack the brown pigment fucoxanthin.
- Researchers noted a particular compound found in wakame, a carotenoid called fucoxanthin, probably contributed to this effect.
More definitions of fucoxanthinDefinition of fucoxanthin in:
- The US English dictionary