noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A crystalline acid, isomeric with maleic acid, present in fumitory and many other plants.
- Alternative name: trans-butenedioic acid; chemical formula: HOOCCHCHCOOH
More example sentences
- To give food a light texture, and/or control its acidity/alkalinity, yeast, sodium bicarbonate, citric acid, fumaric acid, phosphoric acid, lactic acid, and tartrates may be added.
- Other systemic therapies include monoclonal antibodies, protein specifically targeting memory T cells, fumaric acid esters, novel retinoids, and macrolactams.
- It has strong anti-carcinogenic properties and is rich in a number of complex phytochemicals including ergosterol, fumaric acid, aminoglucose and mannitol, coumarins, alkaloids, lactone and various enzymes.
mid 19th century: fumaric from modern Latin Fumaria 'fumitory' + -ic.
Definition of fumaric acid in:
- The US English dictionary