Definition of fumarole in English:
An opening in or near a volcano, through which hot sulphurous gases emerge.
- Some geologists noted similarities between the lakes' steaming cracks and the fumaroles of volcano craters - and wondered if magma might be brewing there.
- Most of the mountains are clastic stratovolcanic sediments (ashes and tuff), and the abundant solfataras and fumaroles, many of which are still active, are the last phases of the volcanism.
- Surface geothermal manifestations include hot steaming ground, fumaroles, mud pools, and warm to boiling hot springs.
- Example sentences
- During the waning stages of eruption, fumarolic activity oxidized cinders along the rim and deposited aggregates of sublimates, hydrothermal precipitates, and reaction products near the central vent of the volcano.
- The first felt seismicity occurred in November 1984, and increased fumarolic activity was noted in February 1985.
- From the rim we were able to access the rim of the fumarolic crater and get down to the floor.
Definition of fumarole in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia