- A group of atoms responsible for the characteristic reactions of a particular compound.More example sentences
- Methyl lithium is very reactive and acts as a nucleophilic methylating reagent to electrophilic functional groups, such as ketones.
- The oxygen atom of an ether functional group has two lone pairs of electrons.
- Condensation reactions depend on a repeated reaction between functional groups on the monomers.
More definitions of functional groupDefinition of functional group in:
- The US English dictionary