- Each of a set of unrelated units of measurement, which are arbitrarily defined and from which other units are derived. For example, in the SI system the fundamental units are the metre, kilogram, and second.More example sentences
- SI (Système Internationale d' Unites) uses seven different fundamental units, the meter, kilogram, second, ampere, kelvin, candela, and mole.
- Pyroelectric detectors and other thermal detectors are the basis for all primary standards used to ensure that laser power and energy measurements are traceable to fundamental units.
- With their sights set on objectivity, precision, and repeatability, scientists around the world were strongly motivated to standardize the fundamental units of measurement.
More definitions of fundamental unitDefinition of fundamental unit in:
- The US English dictionary