Definition of fungistatic in English:
Inhibiting the growth of fungi.
- Fungicides have fungicidal activity, that actually kills the fungus, or fungistatic activity, that slows the growth of the fungus to prevent extensive damage.
- These events may occur because the fungistatic regimens used for suppression fail to eradicate the organism completely or because of host factors that persistently favour an inability to tolerate the resident yeast.
- A shortcoming of many antifungals is that they are only fungistatic (not fungicidal) and that is one of the reasons why they have to be applied during a long period of time.
- fungistatically adverb
- Example sentences
- Clotrimazole, a broad spectrum antimycotic with excellent skin tolerability, is a synthetic Imidazole derivative acting mainly fungistatically on proliferative fungi.
- The composition is applied to a plant growth medium in at least nematistically and fungistatically effective amount in order to suppress the growth of phytopathogenic nematodes and fungi in the plant growth medium.
Definition of fungistatic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.