Any of a number of spiders that build a funnel-shaped web, in particular:
- ● A large and dangerously venomous Australian spider (genera Atrax and Hadronyche, family Dipluridae, suborder Mygalomorphae). Also called trapdoor spider in Australia ● US A spider of the family Agelenidae.
More example sentences
- An evolutionary biologist at East Carolina University specializes in trapdoor and funnel-web spiders, and tarantulas.
- Australia's most notorious spider, the Sydney funnel-web spider, has not been known to cause any deaths since 1980.
- Those Australian funnel-web spiders that can kill a child within 15 minutes.
Definition of funnel-web spider in:
- The US English dictionary