Definition of furca in English:
noun (plural furcae ˈfəːsiːˈfəːkiː)Zoology
1An ingrowth of the thorax of many insects.
- The zocac were sorted according to different morphological features such as length of the telson, lateral carapace spines, midlateral spines on the abdomen, and the number of spines on each furca.
- These taxa have traditionally been included with Echinocaris in the subfamily Echinocaridinae based on overall carapace shape, their thin and rodlike furca, and their lack of a posteroventral spine.
- Example sentences
- These include the presence of true, elongate furcal rami bearing spines in Perspicaris.
- Noting the unusual presence of three furcal setae, Vilela mentioned the possibility of setae having been broken off the specimen.
- The fourth nerve is also called the furcal nerve because it contributes to both the lumbar and sacral plexuses.
Early 17th century: from Latin, literally 'fork'.
Definition of furca in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.