Definition of furcula in English:
noun (plural furculaeˈfəːkjʊliː)Zoology
1The wishbone of a bird.
- Among other features, birds have a structure that they share with dromaeosaurs: a fused clavicle called the furcula, which serves as a brace during the flight stroke.
- I would like to see if the furcula, or wishbone, is present.
- Well, it is actually a wishbone, the furcula is the wishbone and it is made up of the clavicles fused together in the middle.
Mid 19th century: from Latin, diminutive of furca 'fork'.
- Example sentences
- To obtain each fat sample, birds were anesthetized by intramuscular injection with ketamine-rompun and a 2 mm incision was made in the skin overlying the furcular cavity.
- Wing chord length, weight, and a furcular fat score were also determined.
- We detected no differences in the composition of fatty acids in furcular fat, subcutaneous fat, and intraperitoneal fat.
Definition of furcula in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan