- 1An enclosed structure in which material can be heated to very high temperatures, e.g. for smelting metals.More example sentences
- Continuous power was required to maintain the temperature in a furnace in which metal was melted.
- Even where old, proven recipes were used, wildly differing results could be obtained depending on the materials and proportions employed and the temperature of the furnace.
- The metals are brought to a suitable temperature in a furnace, and the weld is achieved by hammering or other mechanical pressure.
- 1.1North American An appliance fired by gas or oil in which air or water is heated to be circulated throughout a building in a heating system.More example sentences
- These appliances include space heaters, gas ranges and ovens, furnaces, gas water heaters, gas clothes dryers, wood or coal-burning stoves, and fireplaces.
- Fuel burning appliance such as furnaces, hot water heaters, and stoves should be inspected annually and identified any repair problems.
- When installing gas fireplaces, water heaters and furnaces, select appliances with sealed combustion chambers.
Middle English: from Old French fornais(e), from Latin fornax, fornac-, from fornus 'oven'.
More definitions of furnaceDefinition of furnace in:
- The US English dictionary