Definition of furniture in English:
1The movable articles that are used to make a room or building suitable for living or working in, such as tables, chairs, or desks.
- If you are in a room with lots of furniture, tables, chairs, bar stools, etc., use them to your advantage.
- Henny and I sit on one of the two slip-covered red couches - the only furniture in the living room except for two dining tables.
- By contrast, in the center of the first gallery was a room's worth of furniture: a sofa, chair, coffee table, lamp and rug.
2 [usually with adjective or noun modifier] The small accessories or fittings that are required for a particular task or function: the more sophisticated Mac furniture—number wheels, colour pickers, and so on
More example sentences
- They use cheap materials and actually destroy a lot of decent furniture and fittings in the process - if something is considered unfashionable it gets taken out or painted over.
- The company has negotiated a special furniture and fitting package with Harvey Norman for units that have yet to be fitted out.
- Lissadell House will be stripped of its historical furniture and fittings before the new owners take over in December.
- part of the furniture
- informal A person or thing that has been somewhere so long as to seem a permanent, unquestioned, or invisible feature of the landscape: I worked for him for so long I became part of the furniture Marx’s views on class and capitalism are part of the furniture of the modern mindMore example sentences
- She's like part of the furniture - people always expect her to be there.
- Having worked in Guiseley for so long, I feel that I am part of the furniture.
- He was obviously a really good con man, giving the impression that he was part of the furniture down at Clifton.
Early 16th century (denoting the action of furnishing): from French fourniture, from fournir, from Old French furnir 'to furnish'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.