- A small brown beetle, the larva of which (the woodworm) bores holes in dead wood and causes considerable damage to old furniture and building timbers.
More example sentences
- Anobium punctatum, family Anobiidae
- The only one in the UK, the house longhorn, makes oval exit holes 3mm to 6mm wide, compared to 1.5mm for the familiar furniture beetle.
- The life cycle is similar to that of the common furniture beetle but can take many years to complete.
- Damage by the furniture beetle is identifiable by a peppering of tiny holes in the surface of the wood.