(North American also fusileer)
1A member of any of several British regiments formerly armed with fusils: the Royal Scots Fusiliers
More example sentences
- A 21-year-old fusilier with the Lancashire Regiment, Norman had only been in France a little over eight weeks when he found himself, along with tens of thousands of his comrades, hemmed in on the beaches at Dunkirk.
- Larkin left Oldham 10 years ago to see the world, signing up for a life in the army, joining the legendary fusiliers and rising from private to lance corporal, serving in both Europe and the Middle East.
- The next layer up are the yellow-tailed fusiliers and the next the yellow-banded fusiliers.
1.1 historical A soldier armed with a fusil.
- Two centuries ago, soldiers called fusiliers, who were armed with light flintlock muskets, fought on battlefields using tactics and formations trained on the parade field.
- Regiments of fusiliers were assigned to guard the artillery trains, in which large quantities of gunpowder were stored and transported for the army's ordnance.
- Behind these troops, and in second line, were the foot-guards, consisting of two regiments of fusileers, two regiments of riflemen, and two regiments of the old guard; that is to say, one of grenadiers and another of chasseurs.
Late 17th century: from French, from fusil (see fusil1).
Words that rhyme with fusilieradhere, Agadir, Anglosphere, appear, arrear, auctioneer, austere, balladeer, bandolier, Bashkir, beer, besmear, bier, blear, bombardier, brigadier, buccaneer, cameleer, career, cashier, cavalier, chandelier, charioteer, cheer, chevalier, chiffonier, clavier, clear, Coetzee, cohere, commandeer, conventioneer, Cordelier, corsetière, Crimea, dear, deer, diarrhoea (US diarrhea), domineer, Dorothea, drear, ear, electioneer, emir, endear, engineer, fear, fleer, Freer, gadgeteer, Galatea, gazetteer, gear, gondolier, gonorrhoea (US gonorrhea), Greer, grenadier, hand-rear, hear, here, Hosea, idea, interfere, Izmir, jeer, Judaea, Kashmir, Keir, kir, Korea, Lear, leer, Maria, marketeer, Medea, Meir, Melilla, mere, Mia, Mir, mishear, mountaineer, muleteer, musketeer, mutineer, near, orienteer, pamphleteer, panacea, paneer, peer, persevere, pier, Pierre, pioneer, pistoleer, privateer, profiteer, puppeteer, racketeer, ratafia, rear, revere, rhea, rocketeer, Sapir, scrutineer, sear, seer, sere, severe, Shamir, shear, sheer, sincere, smear, sneer, sonneteer, souvenir, spear, sphere, steer, stere, summiteer, Tangier, tear, tier, Trier, Tyr, veer, veneer, Vere, Vermeer, vizier, volunteer, Wear, weir, we're, year, Zaïre
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: fu¦si|lier
Definition of fusilier in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.