A cylindrical basket or container filled with earth, stones, or other material and used in civil engineering works or (formerly) fortifications.
More example sentences
- Kuo said the slope remained stable during Mindulle because a permeable structure consisting of large stones wrapped in gabions, or metal cylinders, prevented any landslides.
- She's also been experimenting with gabions, rectangular wire-mesh baskets filled with rocks that are used to shore up riverbanks in the West and beyond.
- In several cases, the concrete rubble and rock have been used in place of concrete or gabions to build weirs that slow water velocity to control downcutting of the wash channel.
- More example sentences
- The foundations of former existing metal pontoons were used to help anchor the gabionage in order to carry out a plant residue treatment.
Definition of gabion in:
- The US English dictionary