- A cylindrical basket or container filled with earth, stones, or other material and used in civil engineering works or (formerly) fortifications.More example sentences
- Kuo said the slope remained stable during Mindulle because a permeable structure consisting of large stones wrapped in gabions, or metal cylinders, prevented any landslides.
- She's also been experimenting with gabions, rectangular wire-mesh baskets filled with rocks that are used to shore up riverbanks in the West and beyond.
- In several cases, the concrete rubble and rock have been used in place of concrete or gabions to build weirs that slow water velocity to control downcutting of the wash channel.
mid 16th century: via French from Italian gabbione, from gabbia 'cage', from Latin cavea.
More definitions of gabionDefinition of gabion in:
- The US English dictionary