- A fish of the cod family (Gadidae).More example sentences
- Scientists from around the world will gather this week to discuss the ability of members of a family of fishes called gadids to adapt to human and environmental pressures.
- However, the ratio of sandeels to gadids found in the Shag gizzards did not change over time, suggesting that diets and rates of otilith loss in gizzards were not noticeably different over the month.
- Fishes like this gadid often lie motionless, either waiting in ambush for potential prey or simply conserving energy by resting on the bottom.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Gadidae (plural), from gadus 'cod'.
More definitions of gadidDefinition of gadid in:
- The US English dictionary