A Gaelic-speaking person.
- The non-English parts of the UK have ten million Gaels, Celts, Picts, Irish, Scots and Vikings.
- The Gael and the Pict, the Angle and Dane, But so did the Irishman, Jew and Ukraine - They're all Scotland's story and they're all worth the same.
- In the 9th cent., Gaels and Picts were finally united under a Gaelic king, probably of mixed parentage.
- Example sentences
- As dynastic union looked likely to resolve the problems of England's northern frontier, the Tudor assimilation of Irish Gaeldom seemed the one outstanding question in regard to the unification of the British Isles.
- US Gaeldom and in particular the Gaels of Chicago mourned the untimely death of one of Kilkenny's finest ambassadors.
- However, one of Gaeldom's leading writers was less impressed.
From Scottish Gaelic Gaidheal.
Words that rhyme with Gaelail, ale, assail, avail, bail, bale, bewail, brail, Braille, chain mail, countervail, curtail, dale, downscale, drail, dwale, entail, exhale, fail, faille, flail, frail, Gail, gale, Grail, grisaille, hail, hale, impale, jail, kale, mail, male, webmail, nonpareil, outsail, pail, pale, quail, rail, sail, sale, sangrail, scale, shale, snail, stale, swale, tail, tale, they'll, trail, upscale, vail, vale, veil, surveil, wail, wale, whale, Yale
Definition of Gael in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.