Definition of galah in English:
1A small Australian cockatoo with a grey back and rosy pink head and underparts.
- Eulophus roseicapillus, family Cacatuidae (or Psittacidae)
- You can attract birds like eastern rosellas, king parrots, galahs and lorikeets to your garden.
- Because of today's down time with Esmeralda, it will be another day that I write about one of Australia's favourite idiots, the beautiful pink and grey galah.
- I mean they have problems with galahs and cockatoos so this sort of balances that.
2Australian informal A stupid person.
- One of the supporters of keeping Lismore Lake for birds was out collecting signatures for a petition when she swears, a member of the public came up and said ‘You'll keep the birds on the lake if you get rid of the galahs on the Council.’
- The music industry event Don't Give Up Your Day Job - where music media and record company types make complete galahs of themselves in the name of charity (Malcolm Sargent Cancer Fund For Children) - is back.
- The Greenies are galahs too.
mid 19th century: from Yuwaalaraay (an Aboriginal language of New South Wales).
Words that rhyme with galahaargh, Accra, afar, ah, aha, aide-mémoire, ajar, Alcazar, are, Armagh, armoire, Artois, au revoir, baa, bah, bar, barre, bazaar, beaux-arts, Bekaa, bête noire, Bihar, bizarre, blah, Bogotá, Bonnard, bra, cafard, café noir, Calabar, car, Carr, Castlebar, catarrh, Changsha, char, charr, cigar, comme ci comme ça, commissar, coup d'état, de haut en bas, devoir, Dhofar, Directoire, Du Bois, Dumas, Dunbar, éclat, embarras de choix, escritoire, fah, famille noire, far, feu de joie, film noir, foie gras, Fra, gar, guar, guitar, ha, hah, ha-ha, Halacha, hurrah, hussar, huzza, insofar, Invar, jar, je ne sais quoi, ka, kala-azar, Kandahar, khimar, Khorramshahr, knar, Krasnodar, Kwa, la-di-da, lah, Lehár, Loire, ma, mama, mamma, mar, Mardi Gras, ménage à trois, mirepoix, moire, nam pla, Navarre, noir, objet d'art, pa, pah, Panama, papa, par, Pará, Paraná, pas, pâté de foie gras, peau-de-soie, pietà, Pinot Noir, pooh-bah, poult-de-soie, pya, rah, registrar, Saar, Salazar, Sana'a, sang-froid, scar, schwa, Seychellois, shah, Shangri-La, shikar, ska, sol-fa, spa, spar, star, Starr, Stranraer, ta, tahr, tar, tartare, tata, tra-la, tsar, Twa, Villa, voilà, waratah, yah
Definition of galah in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan