- An Asian plant of the ginger family, the aromatic rhizome of which is widely used in cookery and herbal medicine.
More example sentences
- Genera Alpinia and Kaempferia, family Zingiberaceae
- In a food processor, purée the lemongrass, garlic, turmeric, galangal, ginger, candlenuts, onion, chilies, and blachan.
- A typical paste will contain lots of chiles, garlic, shallots, lemongrass, galangal, shrimp paste, black pepper, and sea salt.
- Coconut, ginger, galangal, red pepper, sesame, tamarind, peanuts, basil and tea leaves - in addition to staples like homemade noodles and white rice - appear frequently in Myanmar's cuisine.
Middle English galingale, via Old French from Arabic ḵalanjān, perhaps from Chinese gāoliángjiāng, from gāoliáng (the name of a district in Guangdong Province, China) + jiāng 'ginger'.
More definitions of galangalDefinition of galangal in:
- The US English dictionary