- A bluish, grey, or black mineral of metallic appearance, consisting of lead sulphide. It is the chief ore of lead.More example sentences
- This karsting provides highly permeable rocks in which the sulphide minerals sphalerite and galena represent the valuable mineralization.
- Vein minerals are barite, calcite, chalcopyrite, galena, pyrite, and sphalerite.
- The main ore minerals are galena, chalcopyrite, sphalerite, and tetrahedrite that are associated with quartz and barite gangue.
late 17th century: from Latin, 'lead ore' (in a partly purified state).
More definitions of galenaDefinition of galena in:
- The US English dictionary