Definition of galley slave in English:
1A person condemned to man the oars in a galley.
- I'll bet John Knox never complained of it, even during his stint as a galley slave.
- And I could do nothing but sit there like a galley slave.
- Like the Baron's son, Pangloss received one hundred strokes to the soles of his feet and was sent to be a galley slave.
1.1A person who works very hard, typically performing menial or thankless tasks: call-centre workers are the galley slaves of the twenty-first century
More example sentences
- "We worked like galley slaves to get them all sorted out."
- The considerate husband will keep in mind that his wife is a living, throbbing human being, not merely a galley slave to do his bidding.
- Government galley slaves were angry that they had to shell out $30.00 for the official Christmas do last night, kindly organised for them by Chief Whip Jim Lloyd.
Definition of galley slave in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.