Definition of galley slave in English:
1A person condemned to man the oars in a galley.
- I'll bet John Knox never complained of it, even during his stint as a galley slave.
- And I could do nothing but sit there like a galley slave.
- Like the Baron's son, Pangloss received one hundred strokes to the soles of his feet and was sent to be a galley slave.
1.1A person who works very hard, typically performing menial or thankless tasks: call-centre workers are the galley slaves of the twenty-first century
More example sentences
- "We worked like galley slaves to get them all sorted out."
- The considerate husband will keep in mind that his wife is a living, throbbing human being, not merely a galley slave to do his bidding.
- Government galley slaves were angry that they had to shell out $30.00 for the official Christmas do last night, kindly organised for them by Chief Whip Jim Lloyd.
Definition of galley slave in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan