Definition of galliot in English:
1A single-masted Dutch cargo boat or fishing vessel.
- These small galliots 15 to 20 m in length served largely for transporting merchandise along the coast.
- Down-stream slowly drifted a long string of galiots piled with crimson cheeses.
- This continued its course west, directly parallel to the island, and in it, at a distance of half a mile from us, three galliots lay at anchor.
1.1A small, fast galley used in the Mediterranean.
- As news of the siege filtered through to the Portuguese administration in Goa late in 1696, a fleet consisting of two frigates and two galliots was sent to the relief of Fort Jesus.
- The Turks numbered some 274 galleys and galliots with altogether 88,000 men.
- September 1759: A small Prussian flotilla of four galiots, four galleys, and four barques is totally destroyed by a larger Swedish fleet.
Definition of galliot in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.