Definition of galliot in English:
1A single-masted Dutch cargo boat or fishing vessel.
- These small galliots 15 to 20 m in length served largely for transporting merchandise along the coast.
- Down-stream slowly drifted a long string of galiots piled with crimson cheeses.
- This continued its course west, directly parallel to the island, and in it, at a distance of half a mile from us, three galliots lay at anchor.
1.1A small, fast galley used in the Mediterranean.
- As news of the siege filtered through to the Portuguese administration in Goa late in 1696, a fleet consisting of two frigates and two galliots was sent to the relief of Fort Jesus.
- The Turks numbered some 274 galleys and galliots with altogether 88,000 men.
- September 1759: A small Prussian flotilla of four galiots, four galleys, and four barques is totally destroyed by a larger Swedish fleet.
Definition of galliot in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia