Definition of gallon in English:
1.1 (also imperial gallon) British (Also used for dry measure) a unit of volume equivalent to 4.55 litres.
- A British gallon is 5 litres, but a US one is less.
- Pump prices have already soared to 81p per litre - £3.68p a gallon - on many forecourts.
- It was announced that garages would switch to selling petrol by the litre instead of the gallon from the following autumn.
1.2US A unit of volume equivalent to 3.79 litres.
- This is also known as water volume which is measured in gallons per minute or litres per minute and the amount of water being thrown at the surface being cleaned.
- This statement is often said by Canadians looking at all the US tourists trying to figure out how to convert litres to gallons.
- The economics of doing that are such that one ends up using the equivalent of six gallons of gasoline to make enough hydrogen to replace one gallon of gasoline.
2 (gallons of) informal A large volume of something: gallons of fake blood
More example sentences
- Rather than wasting multiple gallons of energized water I should think it would be profitable, if not philanthropic, to bottle it and take it to market.
- What do a few buckets of waste mean anyway, in the grand scheme of things as you bob up and down atop gazillions of gallons of seawater?
- Just as well we're in the country here, with a good breeze and gazillions of gallons of fresh air to sweep it up.
This unit of volume for liquids is from Anglo-Norman French galon, from medieval Latin galletum ‘pail, liquid measure’. The origin may be Celtic.
- Example sentences
- When the latest gallonage is added to the existing milk pool, the expansion makes Lakeland the fourth largest dairy milk processor in the country with operations spanning 15 counties.
- Actually, gallonage was down by almost 1 percent.
- Generally, the average high-volume gallonages in California on deciduous trees is about 400 gallons.
Words that rhyme with gallonAlan, talon
Definition of gallon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan