Definition of galvanometer in English:
An instrument for detecting and measuring small electric currents.
- By using over five kilometers of copper wire coiled nearly 24,000 times around a magnet, he constructed a galvanometer capable of measuring electrical potential differences on a scale of millivolts.
- The testing is done by passing a weak current through the circuit in which a small galvanometer is included and if the needle of the instrument moves when a connexion is made the circuit is in order.
- Polygonal scanners compete as output devices with galvanometers, acousto-optic deflectors, holographic scanners, and micromirror devices.
- Example sentences
- However, galvanometric mirrors are relatively slow, and resonant mirrors do not have the flexibility to scan at slower speeds or to change zoom and pan the image.
- The group has recently succeeded in speeding up the 4Pi-imaging by means of fast galvanometric scanning, which has allowed them to perform biophysical studies of the mitochondrial compartment of live yeast cells.
- The same relation holds true, even in the case of the galvanometric deflections due to various stimulations.
Definition of galvanometer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan