An instrument for detecting and measuring small electric currents.
- By using over five kilometers of copper wire coiled nearly 24,000 times around a magnet, he constructed a galvanometer capable of measuring electrical potential differences on a scale of millivolts.
- The testing is done by passing a weak current through the circuit in which a small galvanometer is included and if the needle of the instrument moves when a connexion is made the circuit is in order.
- Polygonal scanners compete as output devices with galvanometers, acousto-optic deflectors, holographic scanners, and micromirror devices.
- Example sentences
- However, galvanometric mirrors are relatively slow, and resonant mirrors do not have the flexibility to scan at slower speeds or to change zoom and pan the image.
- The group has recently succeeded in speeding up the 4Pi-imaging by means of fast galvanometric scanning, which has allowed them to perform biophysical studies of the mitochondrial compartment of live yeast cells.
- The same relation holds true, even in the case of the galvanometric deflections due to various stimulations.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: gal¦van|om¦eter
Definition of galvanometer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.