A small live-bearing fish found in mangrove creeks and brackish waters of the southern US and northern Mexico.
- Genus Gambusia, family Poecilidae: several species, in particular G. affinis, widely introduced for mosquito control (also called mosquito fish)
More example sentences
- Dozens of small gambusia fish in each pool keep mosquitoes in check.
- The gambusia can retreat to the pool during dry periods and then re-colonize other areas as the water returns.
- If anything, the gambusias may be too small for the gar to bother with right now.
modern Latin, alteration of American Spanish gambusino.
Definition of gambusia in:
- The US English dictionary