- (In the life cycle of plants with alternating generations) the gamete-producing and usually haploid phase, producing the zygote from which the sporophyte arises. It is the dominant form in bryophytes.More example sentences
- Unlike vascular plants, the haploid gametophyte generation is dominant in mosses.
- Many algae are characterized by an alternation of haploid gametophyte and diploid sporophyte generations.
- The plant life cycle alternates between a diploid sporophyte and a haploid gametophyte generation.
- More example sentences
- The pollen grain is the male gametophytic phase of flowering plants.
- In both species there are several layers of cells with labyrinthine walls (transfer cells) on both the sporophytic and gametophytic side of the placenta.
- In barley, a combination of starvation and osmotic stress is able to induce efficiently a microspore developmental switch from the gametophytic to the sporophytic pathway, a process called androgenesis.
More definitions of gametophyteDefinition of gametophyte in:
- The US English dictionary