nounNorth American • informal
- A track maintenance worker on a railway.More example sentences
- If I were a hobo I would call myself a gandy dancer, whether I worked for the railroad or not.
- And, I'd see the gandy dancers coming down the tracks setting the rails and getting their ties straight.
- The gandy dancers' expertise in railroad track maintenance and their work song tradition is unparalleled.
early 20th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of gandy dancerDefinition of gandy dancer in:
- The US English dictionary