Definition of gangsta in English:
1 black slang A gang member: [as modifier]: he raps about the gangsta life
More example sentences
- Let's fast-forward from the Vibe Awards to the Source Awards, another show where the thugs, gangstas and pimps made their presence felt.
- He's pure street and the real thugs and gangstas on lockdown respect that.
- While original gangstas like NWA presented graphic dispatches from LA gang turf where few reporters were brave enough to tread, he has been sold as a GI Joe doll with real bullet holes.
2 (also gangsta rap) [mass noun] A type of rap music featuring aggressive macho lyrics, often with reference to gang violence.
- While European rap artists may listen to U.S. gangsta rap, their own lyrics are expected to represent their own social environment.
- Gangsta rap is differentiable from other rap music in that gangsta rap makes use of images of urban life that are often associated with crime.
- From this we can infer that the transgressed boundary in line 1 is indeed that of hip-hop music generally, and probably gangsta rap specifically.
1980s: alteration of gangster.
Words that rhyme with gangstagangster
Definition of gangsta in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan