1 informal A gang member: I’m showing there’s more to life than being a gangsta and a thu [as modifier]: he raps about the gangsta life
More example sentences
- Let's fast-forward from the Vibe Awards to the Source Awards, another show where the thugs, gangstas and pimps made their presence felt.
- He's pure street and the real thugs and gangstas on lockdown respect that.
- While original gangstas like NWA presented graphic dispatches from LA gang turf where few reporters were brave enough to tread, he has been sold as a GI Joe doll with real bullet holes.
2 (also gangsta rap) [mass noun] A type of rap music featuring aggressive macho lyrics, often with reference to gang violence.
- While European rap artists may listen to U.S. gangsta rap, their own lyrics are expected to represent their own social environment.
- Gangsta rap is differentiable from other rap music in that gangsta rap makes use of images of urban life that are often associated with crime.
- From this we can infer that the transgressed boundary in line 1 is indeed that of hip-hop music generally, and probably gangsta rap specifically.
1980s: alteration of gangster.
Words that rhyme with gangstagangster
Definition of gangsta in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.