Definition of garbage in English:
noun[mass noun] chiefly North American
1Rubbish or waste, especially domestic refuse: garbage littered the estate [as modifier]: a garbage dump
More example sentences
- Americans are right to refuse truckloads of garbage that contain biomedical waste and radioactive material.
- It has a chronic waste problem with garbage and sewerage littering the edges of the coral reef that forms the island.
- People living along the river banks admit that they always dump the waste into the river as there is no garbage dump in the neighborhood.
rubbish, refuse, domestic refuse, waste, waste material, debris, detritus, litter, junk, scrap, discarded matter;
North American trash;
Australian/New Zealand mullock
British informal grot, gash
1.1Worthless or meaningless material or ideas; rubbish: a store full of overpriced garbage
More example sentences
- I figured this idea was garbage, and that he was too much of an egomaniac to base his movies on anyone else's work but his.
- Try to copy a short-cut with a right click, and you'll get meaningless garbage.
- It took an awfully long time, though, and my computer is full of garbage.
1.2 Computing Unwanted data in a computer’s memory.
- What will double is all the garbage we store on our computers, which is to say not much of real value.
- It wastes a portion of our lives to filter through the computer garbage.
- We ran Mailwasher Pro to filter out the garbage in the nine e-mail accounts we check from that workstation, then ran NEO.
late Middle English (in the sense 'offal'): from Anglo-Norman French, of unknown ultimate origin.
garbage in, garbage out
- Used to express the idea that in computing and other fields, incorrect or poor-quality input will produce faulty output.Example sentences
- First, the project suffered from GIGO: garbage in, garbage out.
- It's like they say about computers: garbage in, garbage out.
- Like most things in life, the rule is GIGO: garbage in, garbage out.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan