(also garboard strake)
- The first range of planks or plates laid on a ship’s bottom next to the keel.More example sentences
- Traditionally, wooden boats had a bronze threaded plug in their garboard for just this reason.
- Sailboats are some times fitted with a garboard drain plug to serve the same function when wintering ashore.
- The assembly of the garboards with the middle body of the keel is made by mortise-and-tenon joints.
early 17th century: from Dutch gaarboord, perhaps from garen 'gather' + boord 'board'.
More definitions of garboardDefinition of garboard in:
- The US English dictionary