noun (plural same or garfishes)
- Any of a number of long, slender fish with elongated beak-like jaws containing sharply pointed teeth:
More example sentences
- ● a marine fish (family Belonidae, in particular the common European Belone belone). Also called garpike or (North American) needlefish ● North American a freshwater fish (family Lepisosteidae and genus Lepisosteus). Also called gar or garpike ● Australian and New Zealand term for halfbeak
- Moray eels, garfish and trumpetfish were roaming and snapping at a plethora of potential prey.
- The garfish are extremely long fish, reaching around a metre in length, yet weighing only three pounds.
- The tank features thousands of herring, mackerel, garfish, and horse mackerel, which are found off the coast of Denmark.
Middle English: apparently from Old English gār 'spear' + fish1.
More definitions of garfishDefinition of garfish in:
- The US English dictionary