Definition of garibaldi in English:
noun (plural garibaldis)
1British A biscuit containing a layer of compressed currants.
- He made tea and I could hear him rustling through the cupboard under the sink for garibaldi biscuits.
- I have a friend, a sensible, rational creature, not outwardly generous, but happy to share a garibaldi if pressed.
- I drank it and ate a garibaldi biscuit.
2A small bright orange marine fish found off California.
- Hypsypops rubicundus, family Pomacentridae
- The vivid coloration of the garibaldi may be an adaptation that serves as a warning to intruders or would-be predators that these territorial fish vigorously defend their property.
- This bill designated the Garibaldi as the state marine fish.
mid 19th century: named after G. Garibaldi (see Garibaldi, Giuseppe).
Definition of garibaldi in:
- US English dictionary