Definition of garnishee in English:
A third party who is instructed by way of legal notice to surrender money to settle a debt or claim: [as modifier]: a garnishee order
More example sentences
- His order required the judgment creditor and judgment debtor to give notice to the garnishee of any further relief sought, and specified that such relief should be sought by way of motion.
- The Winters made no protest, and the court ordered the company's profits garnished, upon which the creditors then sued the garnishee for even more money.
- To suggest that a Writ of Delivery might issue before an action has been commenced and an order obtained is tantamount to suggesting that one may collect a debt owing simply by initiating a Notice of Motion and requesting a garnishee.
verb (garnishees, garnisheeing, garnisheed)Back to top
another term for garnish (sense 2 of the verb).
- Starting in August 2001, any extra monies received from the federal government are being garnisheed by the Alberta government if you receive Supports for Independence.
- Child support by the fathers would be mandated by the courts, and if they refused, their wages would be garnisheed or their assets could be seized to pay child support.
- A person who has defaulted on child support would lose their passport and have their wages garnisheed.
Words that rhyme with garnisheeabsentee, açai, addressee, adoptee, agree, allottee, amputee, appellee, appointee, appraisee, après-ski, assignee, asylee, attendee, bailee, bain-marie, Bangui, bargee, bawbee, be, Bea, bee, bootee, bouquet garni, bourgeoisie, Brie, BSc, buckshee, Capri, cc, chimpanzee, cohabitee, conferee, consignee, consultee, Cree, debauchee, decree, dedicatee, Dee, degree, deportee, dernier cri, detainee, devisee, devotee, divorcee, draftee, dree, Dundee, dungaree, eau-de-vie, emcee, employee, endorsee, en famille, ennui, enrollee, escapee, esprit, evacuee, examinee, expellee, fee, fiddle-de-dee, flea, flee, fleur-de-lis, foresee, franchisee, free, fusee (US fuzee), Gardaí, gee, ghee, glee, goatee, grandee, Grand Prix, grantee, Guarani, guarantee, he, HMRC, indictee, inductee, internee, interviewee, invitee, jamboree, Jaycee, jeu d'esprit, key, knee, Lea, lee, legatee, Leigh, lessee, Ley, licensee, loanee, lychee, manatee, Manichee, maquis, Marie, marquee, me, Midi, mortgagee, MSc, nominee, obligee, Otomi, parolee, Parsee, parti pris, patentee, Pawnee, payee, pea, pee, permittee, plc, plea, pledgee, pollee, presentee, promisee, quay, ratatouille, referee, refugee, releasee, repartee, retiree, returnee, rupee, scot-free, scree, sea, secondee, see, settee, Shanxi, Shawnee, shchi, she, shea, si, sirree, ski, spree, standee, suttee, tant pis, tea, tee, tee-hee, Tennessee, testee, the, thee, three, thuggee, Tiree, Torquay, trainee, Tralee, transferee, tree, Trincomalee, trustee, tutee, twee, Twi, undersea, vestee, vis-à-vis, wagon-lit, Waikiki, warrantee, we, wee, whee, whoopee, ye, yippee, Zuider Zee
Definition of garnishee in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.