- A large metal tank, typically cylindrical, in which gas for use as fuel is stored before being distributed through pipes to consumers.More example sentences
- The expired gas was measured in a wet gasometer.
- The design takes its cue from redundant gasometer and gantry structures adjoining the site.
- What could be better than, instead of tearing down its one remaining - and in aesthetic terms, extremely attractive - gasometer, to keep it, and supplement its worth by bringing other fine examples from across the UK to join it?
late 18th century (in the sense 'container for holding or measuring a gas'): from French gazomètre, from gaz 'gas' + -mètre '(instrument) measuring'.
More definitions of gasometerDefinition of gasometer in:
- The US English dictionary