Definition of gastrostomy in English:
noun (plural gastrostomies)
1An opening into the stomach from the abdominal wall, made surgically for the introduction of food.
- The physician inserted a gastrostomy tube into the stomach to provide additional nutritional support, which may help to spontaneously close the fistula.
- A clear catheter entered the stomach at the gastrostomy site and had passed the pylorus into the duodenum.
- A gastrostomy tube is a feeding tube that goes in the stomach.
1.1A surgical operation for making a gastrostomy.
- A multidisciplinary team and other caregivers experienced with gastrostomies are excellent resources for caregivers contemplating the procedure.
- Six caregivers reported that pain was a problem for their child before gastrostomy, and half of these caregivers indicated less pain since the gastrostomy.
- We left the decision about the gastrostomy alone while my husband was still febrile and talked about how to get sustaining food into him to prevent hunger.
Definition of gastrostomy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.