Definition of gastrula in English:
noun (plural gastrulae ˈɡastrʊliː)Embryology
An embryo at the stage following the blastula, when it is a hollow cup-shaped structure having three layers of cells.
- Using light microscopy, he concluded that the embryo underwent gastrulation and that the gastrula consisted of three ‘cell elements’ on the outside, and two on the inside.
- During gastrulation, cells on the outside of the embryo move inwards and, in animals such as the sea urchin, gastrulation even transforms a hollow spherical blastula into a gastrula with a hole through the middle - the gut.
- Gastrulation in its broadest sense is the reorganization of the cells of the blastula to form a multilayered embryo, the gastrula.
- Example sentences
- I will focus here on experimental analyses of a morphogenetic process: the behavior of the amphibian dorsal marginal zone during gastrulation.
- This is in accordance with other modern interpretations of gastrulation in the Porifera.
- These are formed by mesenchyme cells that ingress during gastrulation, as in sea urchins.
Definition of gastrula in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.