noun (plural gateaus or gateaux /-əʊz/)chiefly British
- A rich cake, typically one containing layers of cream or fruit: a chocolate gateau [mass noun]: a slice of gateauMore example sentences
- The cassata, which should be a ricotta-based gateau with candied fruit chocolate and pistachio nuts, fell well short of the standards set by some of the main courses, and seemed to be more bland ricotta than anything else.
- Customers at neighbouring tables sampling carrot cake, gateaux and chocolate fudge cake with cream seemed to be no better off than us.
- Desserts cost £2.95 and featured home-made puddings, gateaux and ice creams.
mid 19th century: from French gâteau 'cake'.
More definitions of gateauDefinition of gateau in:
- The US English dictionary