- 1A house standing by a gateway, especially on a country estate.More example sentences
- The house was built as one of the gatehouses to the estate.
- The lower floor also connects the house to a gatehouse through a small courtyard.
- At his death both the house and the gatehouse were bought for the Abbey.
- 2 • historical A room over a city or palace gate, often used as a prison.More example sentences
- It is written that the dead Queen's ring was dropped from the gatehouse of Richmond Palace by a lady in waiting to her brother Sir Robert Carey.
More definitions of gatehouseDefinition of gatehouse in:
- The US English dictionary