1 (also gateman) An attendant employed to control who goes through a gate.
- To use it, the gateman had to lower the gates while he left the tower.
- The umpires, linesmen and gatemen and ‘everyone else’ were thanked too while the faithful supporters were not forgotten either.
- The device will warn road users and gatemen of the approaching train by emitting a siren and through flashing lights.
1.1A person or thing that controls access to something: GPs can act as gatekeepers, filtering demands made on hospital services
More example sentences
- All these stories involve media gatekeepers expressing anxiety about losing control of the gate.
- A first gatekeeper, controlling the first router, and a second gatekeeper, controlling the second router, together mediate the process of setting up the call.
- Western gatekeepers thus controlled the axis of appropriation.
Definition of gatekeeper in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.