Definition of gateleg table in English:
A table with hinged legs that are swung out from the centre to support folding leaves and make the table larger.
- It would be a double gateleg table, I decided, partly as a tribute to an elegant, classic piece of furniture and partly as a way to have both a rectangular and a round table.
- The origin of the gateleg table is difficult to pinpoint.
- In this room New England Chippendale chairs surround a William and Mary gateleg table set with English creamware plates made between 1785 and 1790 and Prattware dishes and a tea set of about 1800.
- Example sentences
- Then we got down the cedar gatelegged table Papa made and she is borrowing it for her dinette until she gets one.
- She sat on the sofa in the place of honour; gatelegged tables were brought in, and baked meats in trays.
- It was gatelegged - its top could unfold and the back legs could swing out to support it.
Definition of gateleg table in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia