noun (plural gauchos)
- A cowboy from the South American pampas: Argentinian gauchosMore example sentences
- The pampas were where the gauchos, nomadic half-Indian herdsmen, roamed and worked.
- The Overture is based on a poem describing the impressions of a Creole gaucho, a cowboy of sorts, who came to Buenos Aires and saw a production of Gounod's Faust.
- Uruguay's gauchos (cow-boys) proudly wear the distinctive clothing of their ancestors.
Latin American Spanish, probably from Araucanian kauču 'friend'.
More definitions of gauchoDefinition of gaucho in:
- The US English dictionary