noun[mass noun] Astronomy
- A patch of very faint nebulous light sometimes seen in the night sky opposite the position of the sun. It is thought to be the image of the sun reflected from gas and dust outside the atmosphere.More example sentences
- But the gegenschein is very faint, a few magnitudes fainter than the Milky Way.
- The gegenschein is distinguished from zodiacal light by the high angle of reflection.
- The gegenschein is visible as faint patch of light at the center of the image.
late 19th century: German Gegenschein, from gegen 'opposite' + Schein 'glow, shine'.
More definitions of gegenscheinDefinition of gegenschein in:
- The US English dictionary