(also gelatine /ˈdʒɛlətiːn/)
1A virtually colourless and tasteless water-soluble protein prepared from collagen and used in food preparation, in photographic processes, and in glue: stir the gelatin into the salmon mixture [count noun]: they are testing different strength gelatins in low-calorie products
More example sentences
- In a bowl over an ice water bath, combine asparagus juice with gelatin and whip until it becomes a stiff foam.
- When you think of a black-and-white photograph, you probably envision a silver gelatin print.
- Return to the blender and add the softened gelatin and blend again.
2 (usually blasting gelatin) A high explosive consisting chiefly of a gel of nitroglycerine with added cellulose nitrate.
- Since that time - and even more since Nobel's development of nitroglycerin-based blasting gelatin in 1875-its impact on the mining and construction industries has been profound.
- One thing that sprang to mind was blasting gelatin.
- One of Nobel's last significant discoveries was closely related to his work with blasting gelatin.
Definition of gelatin in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.