Definition of gelatinous in English:
1Having a jelly-like consistency: a sweet, gelatinous drink
More example sentences
- For contrast, he used dried, powdered fish scales as a thickener in another dish, which ‘added collagen for a thin, shiny, gelatinous consistency.’
- The paste stood out amongst its neighbours on the platter, not for its taste, but for its bright pinkish colour and shiny, gelatinous consistency - a treat to some, but not my personal fave.
- This lesion was brown, irregular in shape, and had a consistency that varied from gelatinous to firm.
1.1Of or like the protein gelatin.
- All cyanobacteria are unicellular, though many grow in colonies or filaments, often surrounded by a gelatinous or mucilaginous sheath.
- In my experience, thick gelatinous cyst fluid is simply ‘old’ fluid with high protein content.
- The cyst is filled with soft, gelatinous, sticky, and mucoid fluid.
- Example sentences
- Half of my breakfast is, indeed, sticking gelatinously to my toes and fingers.
- His nurse entered with a gelatinously floppy bag of IV fluid to hang.
- Other dishes quickly followed, including an octopus carpaccio in which the tentacles had been bound gelatinously together and sliced into what looked like headcheese, and a homemade gnocchi in a subtle pork ragu.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia