Definition of gemmule in English:
A tough-coated dormant cluster of embryonic cells produced by a freshwater sponge for development in more favourable conditions.
- Development consisted of the orderly assembly and expression of the gemmules transmitted via the parental germ cells to the progeny.
- Some species also form internal buds, called gemmules, which can survive extremely unfavorable conditions that cause the rest of the sponge to die.
- These gemmules circulate throughout the body, and each sex cell eventually accumulates a full set.
- 1gemmulation noun
- Example sentences
- In cold regions, gemmulation occurs in winter, and the inactive gemmules are said to hibernate; in warm regions, gemmulation occurs in summer, and the gemmules are said to estivate.
- In his description of the new species, he reported that the fungus appeared in the tissues as spherical to ovoid cells, measuring 3 to 30 µm in diameter, with multiple buds or simple gemmulation.
Mid 19th century: from French, from Latin gemmula, diminutive of gemma 'bud, jewel'.
Definition of gemmule in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.