noun (plural genae /ˈdʒiːniː/)Zoology
- The lateral part of the head of an insect or other arthropod below the level of the eyes.More example sentences
- In summary, it is not only essential for determining the anterior border to the progression furrow but also for the morphogenesis of major parts of the dorsal and ventral (gena) head.
- The specimen is an external mold and tectonic flattening of the genae appears to have produced a greater width than length.
- More example sentences
- Its posterior margin runs at right angles to the longitudinal axis, before swinging inwards to form distinct genal angles and a genal epimeron on the left-hand side.
- The cephalon lacks definite genal spines, and the tail spine, insofar as it can be reconstructed, does not appear to have been very long relative to the body.
- Genal regions are angular but are not developed into genal spines.
early 19th century: Latin, literally 'cheek'.
More definitions of genaDefinition of gena in:
- The US English dictionary